Daily Israel Report

Kibbutz Boy Nearly Killed By Cow Excrement

14-year-old left in serious condition after being poisoned by methane while clearing cow feces.
By Benny Moshe, Ari Yashar
First Publish: 4/23/2014, 12:39 PM

Cows (illustration)
Cows (illustration)
Flash 90

Who said that cows were harmless? A 14-year-old boy was left in serious condition on Wednesday after inhaling copious quantities of methane gas while helping his father to clear cow feces at Kibbutz Tzora, located near Beit Shemesh.

The poisoned youth lost consciousness while sitting on a truck; medics who arrived on the scene transferred him via tractor to a Magen David Adom (MDA) and United Hatzalah crew for treatment.

He was then evacuated to the Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem while in stable condition.

Yanki Shkol, a United Hatzalah paramedic, recounted "when I reached the scene with other medics, we started resuscitation while on the truck until he was evacuated by tractor with the help of a firefighting team."

"The youth apparently inhaled poisonous gas while working and lost consciousness; the circumstances of the event are being checked by the police," added Shkol.