Hezbollah Official Killed in Lebanon Blast
A suicide car bomb attack killed four people late Sunday in an area dominated by the Hezbollah terrorist group near the Syrian border, a Lebanese security source told AFP.
The attack in the Bekaa Valley was claimed by the jihadist Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon, as well as by a little known extremist Sunni Muslim group based in the region.
The bomb killed two Hezbollah members, including local official Abdel Rahman al-Qadi, and a woman and her husband who died from their wounds shortly after the blast, the source told AFP.
"A car bomb attack has struck the village of Al-Nabi Othman," the source said.
"The blast was carried out by a suicide attacker. Hezbollah members knew he was about to carry out the attack, and tried to stop the vehicle. That was when the attacker detonated the vehicle," he added.
Sunday’s attack is the latest in a series of attacks targeting Hezbollah-dominated areas in Lebanon.
The group’s strongholds in Lebanon have been the targets of repeated attacks ever since it acknowledged sending fighters into Syria to support President Bashar Al-Assad's troops as they battle rebels.
The latest attack came hours after the Syrian army, backed by Hezbollah men, captured Yabroud, a former rebel bastion in Syria near the Lebanese border.
After the attack, Al-Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed responsibility via Twitter, describing it as a "quick response to the bravado... of the party of Iran (Hezbollah) for their rape of Yabrud," according to AFP.
The group, with suspected links to Syria's Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Nusra Front, also warned Hezbollah of "jihadist operations to silence their tongues from singing about this shameful rape" or takeover of Yabroud.
In addition to facing attacks within Lebanon, Hezbollah has been sustaining heavy losses in Syria. According to a report last week, the fighting for Yabroud has left over 120 Hezbollah fighters dead.