Activists: We Want 60 MKs at E1 March
Former Kedumim mayor and Judea and Samaria activist Daniela Weiss has a dream: Bringing 60 MKs to a march set for Thursday to demand Israeli settlement of the E1 area between Maale Adumim and Jerusalem. Weiss expressed her desire to bring half the Knesset's members to the march at a meeting Sunday of the more than 30 organizations sponsoring and participating in the march.
The meeting included nearly all the prominent heads of the settlement enterprise in Judea and Samaria, including Samaria Council director Gershon Mesika, Samaria Residents Committee head Benny Katsover, Gush Etzion Regional Council chairman Davidi Perl, Maale Adumim Deputy Mayor Guy Yifrach, and Weiss, a member of the event's steering committee.
Yifrach said that the event had great meaning beyond his city, and as a result he and other officials were trying to recruit as many groups as possible to participate. Katsover said that “we must make sure that the world knows that the Jewish people neither sleep nor slumber. The Jewish people want the Land of Israel because it is their home. We must make sure Knesset members know we will not sit idly by while a tragedy unfolds.” Weiss said that “the atmosphere reminds me of the period when people went to settle Elon Moreh” after the Yom Kippur War.
Mesika said that “since Gush Katif many people have not participated in protests because they feel they are ineffective. This is the first time since then that masses of people have awoken and are prepared to protest.” Mesika said he expects more than 10,000 people at the march.
“Forty years ago, US Secretary of State Henry Kissinger came here, seeking to get us to give up not only Sinai and the Golan, but also Judea and Samaria,” Weiss said. “For those who think it will be difficult to halt the current process, I remind them that then, too, it was difficult to get people to come out.” However, the activism of those days prevented Kissinger from having his way, and so it will be today as well, she said.