Danon: 'Need to Weigh Up Future of Negotiations'
Although Friday's fatal attack in the Jordan Valley community of Brosh is unrelated to previous recent acts of terrorism, together they form a disturbing picture, according to Deputy Defense Minister Danny Danon.
Danon told interviewers on Israeli radio network Reshet Bet that there was room to weigh up whether or not to continue negotiations with the Palestinian Authority following the attacks, and the incitement he said lay behind them.
According to the Deputy Defense Minister, "forces trying to undermine" Mahmoud Abbas' leadership could also have been behind the attack.
"Israel expects the Palestinian Authority to react and take actions, but at the moment we are not seeing this," Danon lamented.
Many political figures have rejected claims that the recent spate of terror attacks is not the responsibility of the Palestinian Authority (PA) and its Chaiman, Mahmoud Abbas.
Following the attack in Psagot last week, which saw a nine-year old Israeli girl shot in the neck at close range, Israeli Housing Minister Uri Ariel said: “the same 'Abu' is not denouncing and the same 'Mazen' is not taking action to arrest terrorists but only making gestures.” Abu Mazen is another name for the PA Chairman.
Minister Uri Ariel also said that the current violence is a problem that requires that the government “stop, think anew, reach conclusions and see how we continue.”
Also following Thursday night's attack, Judea and Samaria (Yesha) Council Chairman and Head of the Binyamin Regional Council Avi Ro'eh said that the continued negotiations with the Palestinian Authority had only led to an increase in terror attacks, adding that they gave the impression of weakness and sent out the wrong message.