The IDF began on Sunday evening to release some of the reservists that were called up last week in preparations for a possible U.S. military strike in Syria.
On Wednesday, Israel's security cabinet issued a limited call-up of reservists, part of Israel's preparations for the possibility that the Syrian regime could choose to attack Israel in "retaliation" for intervention by the U.S. and its allies.
Last week, as speculations continued that the U.S. would strike in Syria as a warning to the regime for its use of chemical weapons on civilians, a number of Syrian officials threatened that if their country was attacked, it would retaliate by attacking Israel.
Most recently, a senior official in the Syrian army warned the United States and its partners that waging a full-scale war on Syria would be reciprocated with an immediate attack on Tel Aviv.
"If Damascus comes under attack, Tel Aviv will be targeted too and a full-scale war against Syria will actually issue a license for attacking Israel," the Syrian army source told the Iranian Fars news agency.
"Rest assured that if Syria is attacked, Israel will also be set on fire and such an attack will, in turn, engage Syria's neighbors," he added.
The source also warned the U.S. and other Western states that if Syria grows weak, certain irresponsible groups will be formed which will endanger Israel's security.
The decision to release the reservists was made after Israel understood that the strike in Syria would be delayed, in the wake of President Barack Obama’s announcement from Saturday that he would seek approval from Congress for such a strike.
Meanwhile, the head of the IDF’s Northern Command, Maj. Gen. Yair Golan, said Sunday that the IDF’s preparations for a possible strike in Syria were responsible.
Speaking with heads of local authorities in northern Israel, Golan said the IDF strengthened its defense capabilities without hysteria and without extensive calling up of reserves.