Seven Abducted Security Personnel in Sinai Released
The seven Egyptian security personnel who were abducted by suspected Islamic fundamentalists in Sinai have been released and are on their way to Cairo, an Egyptian army spokesman confirmed on Wednesday.
"The seven kidnapped Egyptian soldiers are on their way to Cairo after their release thanks to the efforts of the Egyptian military intelligence in coordination with the elders of the tribes and families of Sinai," the spokesman said, according to Al-Arabiya.
The seven, a border guard and six police officers, were kidnapped last Thursday, and Egyptian government officials had been appealing to the kidnappers and foreign governments for a quiet resolution to the matter.
A video released by the kidnappers seemed to indicate that the hostages were being tortured.
Egypt exerted “intense efforts” on Tuesday to secure the release the captured security personnel, the prime minister said, according to Al Arabiya.
“There are intense efforts on all fronts for the return of the captured conscripts safely,” Hisham Qandil had said in a statement carried on the official MENA news agency.