A group of families of 9/11 victims are outraged over the National September 11 Memorial Museum's decision to charge admission fees for visitors, calling it “a slap in the face" to those who perished during the infamous attack.
"Patriotic people from all corners of the country go to teach their children something and show respect, and now they will be faced with this fee? It is outrageous," said Sally Regenhard, assistant chairwoman of the group 9/11 Parents and Families of Firefighters and WTC Victims, according to CNN.
"This feeds the idea of New York City being money-hungry. It is taking advantage of tourists," Regenhard said. "Making people pay to grieve is going to prevent people from paying their respects and learn about the victims."
9/11 Memorial communications manager Anthony Guido said that an exact price has not yet been set, but is likely to range from $20 to $25. Family members of 9/11 victims are exempt from all memorial-museum fees and charges, Guido said. The museum will open in 2014.
Meanwhile, Police removed a 250-pound piece of an airplane wing from near the World Trade Center last week that is believed to be part of a 9/11 jetliner.
The piece, which was found last week, was taken into police custody.
About 3,000 people died in the attack, and 1,000 were never identified.