IAF aircraft struck a terror facility and a weapons storage site in southern Gaza on Saturday night.
The IDF Spokesperson’s Unit said in a statement that direct hits at the targets were identified. All Israeli aircraft returned to their bases safely.
The attack came in response to the recent escalation in rocket attacks from Gaza at southern Israel, said the statement, which stressed that the IDF will not tolerate any attempt to harm Israeli citizens and IDF soldiers and the IDF does not intend to allow a return to the reality that existed before Operation Pillar of Defense.
Earlier on Saturday, as Israelis celebrated Lag Ba’Omer around the bonfires, Gaza-based terrorists fired a rocket at southern Israel.
The rocket exploded in the Sdot Negev Regional Council. No physical injuries or damages were reported. Children who were celebrating Lag Ba’Omer were instructed to return to their homes.
The latest attack comes exactly one week after a rocket fired by Gaza terrorists exploded in an open area in the Eshkol Regional Council, causing no physical injuries or damages.
Two days before that, two rockets were fired at the Eshkol Region from Gaza. They exploded in open areas as well.
The head of the Eshkol Regional Council, Haim Yellin, told Arutz Sheva last week that it is time that Israel follow up on its words with actions and act to stop the rocket attacks from Gaza.
“Terrorism without a response is not viable, both inwardly and outwardly,” Yellin said. We may say that there’s no reason to strike back over a small shell which explodes in an open area, but this small shell will eventually explode on Tel Aviv,” he warned, adding that the Israeli restraint encourages Hamas terrorists to expand the range of the rockets until they reach Tel Aviv.