Iran: Nuclear Talks to Resume in Kazakhstan
Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said on Sunday that the latest round of talks with world powers regarding Iran's nuclear program would be held in Kazakhstan later this month.
"I have good news, I've heard yesterday that 5+1 or EU3+3 will be meeting in Kazakhstan on the 25th of February," Salehi said during a panel discussion at the Munich Security Conference.
Iran and six world powers -- the United States, Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia -- held three rounds of talks last year aimed at resolving the standoff over Iran's nuclear activities, but all were unsuccessful.
"We have no red line for negotiations, bilateral negotiations when it comes to any subject," Salehi said on the final day of the 49th Munich Security Conference.
"When it comes to the nuclear issue, yes, we are ready to negotiate,” he said. “But we have to make sure this time -- and this I think is very fair of us -- to make sure the other side this time comes with an authentic intention -- authentic and real intention to resolve the issue."
U.S. Vice President Joe Biden said Saturday during a speech at the Munich conference that Washington was open to holding bilateral talks with Tehran.
The United States "would be prepared to meet bilaterally with the Iranian leadership," he said.
Biden said "there has to be an agenda that they are prepared to speak to. We are not just prepared to do it for the exercise."
Salehi, meanwhile, said Sunday that he takes "these statements with positive consideration."
"I think this is a step forward. But please, do note, that each time we have come and negotiated it was the other side unfortunately who did not keep to this commitment," he claimed.