Daily Israel Report
Show More

OpEds


Charges Dropped in 'Jewish Firebomber' Case

Insufficient evidence in investigation against 13-year-old suspected of firebomb attack on Arab taxi.
By גיל רונן
First Publish: 1/6/2013, 10:07 PM

The Arab taxi
The Arab taxi
Judea and Samaria police

The Jerusalem District Attorney's Office decided Sunday to close the investigation against a 13.5-year-old minor suspected of hurling a firebomb at a Palestinian Authority taxi in Gush Etzion last summer.

The firebomb caused the taxi to burst out in flames, injuring six people who were inside, including children.

Since then, police have had a less-than-sparkling record in finding the perpetrators.

Three minors aged 12-13 were arrested a week after the attack. Police said they had evidence of the minors' involvement in the crime and estimated that charge sheets would soon be filed. Despite all of this pomp, the suspects were released from jail five days later.

Evidence indicating the identity of the perpetrator "did not make it to the required degree of verifiability to identify the perpetrator," the State Prosecutor said.