Iran condemned the United States on Saturday for conducting a limited nuclear test, saying it showed Washington's "inattention to full disarmament," the state television website reported, according to AFP.
The U.S. Energy Department said it conducted a "subcritical" test at an underground site in Nevada on Wednesday to study the behavior of nuclear materials without triggering an atomic explosion. It was its first since February last year.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast "condemned the recent US nuclear test," saying it displayed "inattention to full disarmament which is a deep-seated demand of international public opinion."
Mehmanparast said Iran was “one of the victims of weapons of mass destruction” during its war with Iraq and as such “will pursue the supreme leader's fatwa regarding the prohibition of production, storage or use of such weapons until it has been fully realized.”
The Iranian official was referring to a 2005 religious decree by Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in which he declared the atomic bomb to be against the principles of Islam.
Meanwhile, the U.S. continues to impose sanctions on the Iranian regime, in an effort to halt its nuclear program and efforts of enriching uranium to levels that could be used in weapons of mass destruction.