An actress who appeared in the anti-Muslim film blamed for sparking deadly violence in the Middle East has lost another legal bid to have the trailer removed from YouTube.
A federal judge in Los Angeles on Friday denied a request for a court order by Cindy Lee Garcia to require YouTube to take down the clip of “Innocence of Muslims”, which depicts the Prophet Mohammad as a fool and a sexual deviant.
According to reports, the ruling was based on the decision that Garcia was unlikely to prevail on her claims of copyright infringement.
“I think it’s unfortunate that Cindy has yet to have her day in court, said her attorney, Chris Armenta, who added she plans to appeal the ruling. “While we respect the judge’s ruling, we vehemently disagree with it.”
The 14-minute trailer for "Innocence of Muslims", posted to YouTube on July 2, was blamed for igniting anti-U.S. protests throughout the Muslim world, including the deadly attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi on Sept. 11, which resulted in the deaths of four Americans, including the U.S. Ambassador to Libya. The U.S. State Department later said the assault was not, in fact, a spontaneous reaction to the amateur video, but a coordinated, pre-planned terrorist attack.
Garcia claimed she had been duped by the filmmaker, Nakoula Nakoula, into believing that the movie would be an adventure film titled “Desert Warrior”. She also maintained that her voice had been dubbed over after filming.
The actress, who said she and her family have received death threats since the video was posted online, lost a similar legal challenge in state court when a judge rejected her lawsuit in September.