Internal Security Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch said the Israeli police had been expecting additional terrorist attacks, similar to the one that shook Tel Aviv Wednesday afternoon.
Aharonovitch had previously clarified in an interview with Voice of Israel Radio that the government and security forces were being increasingly vigilant, due to warnings of increased terrorist activity in response to Operation Pillar of Defense.
He stressed that all terrorist attacks against the State of Israel must come to an end and that the government will exercise whatever means necessary to ensure the safety and security of its citizens, whether it terms of an agreed upon cease fire or continued military operations.
Terrorists detonated an explosive device on a public bus on Tel Aviv's Shaul Hamelech Street around noon Wednesday afternoon, the eighth day of Operation Defensive Shield.
Approximately 23 people were injured in the blast. Two sustained moderate to serious injuries, while the rest were lightly wounded and suffered from shock.
“We are in the midst of a difficult campaign," Aharonovitch said. "The possibility of an attack on Tel Aviv was taken into consideration when we began the operation in Gaza.”
“I call on everyone to be vigilant and careful. We must leave the majority of the work to the army and security forces – they will strike the terrorists,” he added.