Shalit Deal Terrorists to Return to Yesha, Despite PM's Promise
Eighteen terrorists who were released from Israeli prisons on condition that they remain in Gaza will be going back to their homes in Palestinian Authority-controlled areas of Judea and Samaria, a report by the PA's official Ma'an news agency said Thursday. The terrorists were released last year as part of the deal to release over 1,000 terrorists in exchange for kidnapped IDF soldier Gilad Shalit.
The plan to allow the terrorists to return to Judea and Samaria was announced by the PA's Minister of Prisoners, Issa Karaka. They will be traveling to their former homes in the coming weeks as part of the “celebration” of the Muslim Id al-Adha holiday.
It is not clear what recourse, if any, Israel has to the planned violation of the agreement under which the terrorists were released. The government has not commented on the PA minister's announcement.
Ron Kerman, whose daughter Tal was murdered ten years ago in a terror attack on a Haifa bus, told Arutz Sheva in an interview that the government had guaranteed that terrorists would remain in Gaza. Now, apparently, the deception that accompanied the Shalit deal has come to the fore. “He promised to ensure the safety of Israelis, but actually did the opposite,” Kerman said. “Thanks to the Shalit deal, the ability of Israel to intimidate and control terrorists has been reduced. He has taught terrorists how to free their comrades.
“Already some of the terrorists released in the Shalit deal have returned to their old ways,” said Kerman. “Among those who are going to return to their homes in Judea and Samaria are those who murdered my daughter. Prime Minister Netanyahu apparently did this deal for political reasons, as he was under pressure because of protest over the high cost of living, but he has damaged the security of all Israelis,” Kerman added.