The IDF Spokesperson announced on Monday evening that, according to a decision by Chief of Staff Benny Gantz and based on an IDF assessment, a general closure will be imposed on Palestinian Authority-assigned areas of Judea and Samaria as well as on Gaza during Yom Kippur.
The closure began at 11:59 p.m. on Monday night and will be removed on Wednesday night at 11:59 p.m., several hours after the conclusion of Yom Kippur, subject to a security assessment.
During the closure, movement from these areas into Israel will be approved in medical and humanitarian cases only and subject to approval by the Civil Administration.
“The IDF will continue to act to protect the citizens of Israel while considering the Palestinian fabric of life,” said the IDF statement.
Earlier on Monday, Gantz told a memorial gathering to commemorate fallen soldiers that our enemies are trying harder than ever before to attack the State of Israel.
Speaking during an annual ceremony that takes place at Kfar Bilu for paratroopers who have fallen in the line of duty, Gantz said “the attempts of our enemies to hurt the State of Israel are not stopping; rather, they are continuing to grow and change.”
On Friday, a terror attack ended the life of 20-year-old IDF Cpl. Netanel Yahalomi, who was shot and killed on the border with Egypt as he was going to offer water to African migrants attempting to enter the country illegally.
Speaking at Sunday's cabinet meeting, Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said that the attack emphasized the importance of completing the security fence in southern Israel. The attack occurred in an area where the fence has not yet been completed.
A terror group calling itself Ansar Beit Al Makdas on Sunday said it had carried out the attack.