The Egyptian General Intelligence Service warned that a radical jihadi group is planning to launch terrorist attacks against the US and Israeli embassies in Cairo, the Egypt Independent reported.
Israel has accused the group, dubbed Global Jihad, of being responsible for the August 5 attack in Sinai against Egyptian border guards, which left 16 dead.
The Egyptian Al-Masry Al-Youm newspaper reportedly obtained a copy of a top secret letter addressed to Major General Samy Sedhom, first assistant Interior Minister for Social Security, on September 4, which stated that intelligence services notified the ministry’s national security body that elements from the organization in Egypt and Gaza were planning attacks on the two embassies.
Security sources said the letter was forwarded to Egyptian security officials, informing them to undertake the necessary measures. The sources added that Military Intelligence informed the Interior Ministry one week ago that 22 terrorists in Sinai are planning to attack vital facilities and police checkpoints, according to the Egypt Independent.
Meanwhile, the Israeli National Security Council Counter-Terrorism Bureau issued a travel warning last week to Israelis and Jews around the world.
The warning came in light of the upcoming holidays, during which many Israelis travel abroad.
The warning said that, “in the wake of the string of attacks and attempted attacks that occurred this year, Iran and Hizbullah are continuing their increased efforts to implement additional attacks, focusing on the intent to harm Israeli tourist destinations around the world.”
The warning specifically mentioned the Sinai Peninsula, stressing that Israelis should avoid traveling to the area due to heightened security alerts.