Iran and Hizbullah have tried to carry out terrorist attacks in over 20 countries around the world over the past two years, Mossad Director Tamir Pardo and Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) Director Yoram Cohen said on Sunday.
Pardo and Cohen made the remarks during a meeting with the Israeli Cabinet, during which they briefed its members on the intelligence agencies' actions against Iranian and Hizbullah terrorism around the world.
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu praised the exposure of those behind the attacks, saying, “There is great significance in the ability to prove to the world that Iran and Hizbullah are responsible for terrorist attacks that cross continents.”
Netanyahu also sought to thank the Mossad and Shin Bet personnel for the hidden actions they take throughout the world in order to defend the citizens of the State.
“The wave of Iranian terrorism that is also perpetrated through Hezbollah has met with, and will yet meet with, determined actions,” he said.
Netanyahu said his assertion that Hizbullah is behind the attack last week that killed five Israeli tourists is based on “rock solid” intelligence and on its resemblance to other recent attempted attacks across the world, including one in Cyprus last week.
“It’s the same modus operandi,” he said. “It’s them and we know it.”
Bulgarian authorities said on Sunday they have reached the same conclusions as Netanyahu, denying claims of responsibility for the suicide attack by a small Muslim terrorist group.
The group, which calls itself Qa'adat el-Jihad, claims to be linked to the international Al-Qaeda terrorist organization.
Bulgarian media reported on Sunday that it is believed the suicide bomber received assistance from a man who was seen in the resort city of Varna in the country.