The terror attack in Bulgaria was carried out by a suicide bomber, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borisov said Thursday morning, as authorities develop a picture of exactly how six Israelis were killed when a bus blew up at Sofia's Sarafovo Airport.
An initial investigation, based on footage captured by surveillance cameras, indicated that the bomber was a Caucasian.
Earlier reports said that the bus had been blown up by an explosive device set off remotely.
The terrorist was carrying a driver's license from Michigan and possibly a passport, Bulgarian officials said, which turned out to be a fake. A report by Bulgarian news agency Novinite said that Bulgarian authorities had contacted the FBI, which had been unable to verify the identity of the terrorist, who was apparently killed in the attack, bringing the death toll to seven. Bulgarian authorities have not yet determined how he entered the country.
A joint international investigation is being conducted by Israeli, U.S., and Bulgarian authorities. Magen David Adom and ZAKA teams flew to Bulgaria overnight Wednesday to deal with the dead and wounded. Thirty one Israelis were injured in the attack, with two in critical condition. Israeli doctors are considering ways to bring them back to Israel for treatment.
Dr. Gaby Barabash, director of Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital, told Army Radio Thursday morning that most of the injured Israelis were lightly wounded, and could be home by Shabbat. “Some of them may need long-term treatment, perhaps for several months, but most of the injuries are not complicated, and none will be (physically) disabled as a result of their experience.”