Bulgarian President Rosen Plevneliev said on Wednesday evening that there was no prior information regarding a planned terror attack in the country. He spoke following the attack on a bus carrying Israelis in Burgas which killed seven people, including five Israelis.
A report on Channel 10 News quoted Plevneliev as having told local media that the authorities in Bulgaria held a meeting last month with representatives of the Israeli Mossad but that they did not warn the Bulgarians against a possible attack.
Plevneliev, who visited the scene of the attack, was quoted as having said that his country had taken every precaution to protect the lives of the victims of the attack. He added that there are good relations between Bulgaria and Israel, and that his country would have acted seriously had it been warned of a possible attack.
Meanwhile, Bulgarian Prime Minister Boyko Borissov called Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Wednesday evening and asked to convey his condolences over the deaths of the Israeli tourists in the terrorist attack in Burgas.
Borissov said that the attack was not only against Israelis but against Bulgaria as well. The two agreed that Israel and Bulgaria would cooperate closely in investigating the attack.
Netanyahu thanked Borissov and said that Iran and Hizbullah are conducting a campaign of terrorism against Israeli targets around the world.