Tigers’ Left Fielder Hurled Anti-Semitic Slurs

NY police arrested Detroit Tigers' Delmon Young for allegedly attacking tourists while drunk and hurling anti-Semitic slurs.

Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu,

Delmon Young hits home plate -- before 'foul'
Delmon Young hits home plate -- before 'foul'

New York City police arrested Detroit Tigers left fielder Delmon Young Friday for allegedly attacking tourists while drunk and hurling anti-Semitic slurs.

The team’s general manager Dave Dombrowski told the Detroit Free Press that Young has been placed on the restricted list but could return to playing on the field was early as Tuesday.

Young allegedly clashed with four men outside a New York hotel where the Tigers’ team was staying during a series of games with the New York Yankees.

“I don’t think anybody really knows 100 percent what took place,” Dombrowski said, but all newspaper accounts stated that Young was intoxicated and assaulted one of the four tourists giving money to a beggar wearing a kippa and Star of David.

After the incident around 2:30 a.m. Friday, Young fled to his hotel room, and a security guard called police, who arrested him.

Major League Baseball rules automatically place him on the restricted list, prohibiting him from playing in major league games until the charges are resolved. He also must be seen by a health care professional and possibly be ordered to undergo treatment.   

Dombrowski said if the evaluation concludes he needs no treatment, he could return to the playing field immediately.

If Young is found guilty of a hate crime, his $6.75 million contract can be voided. The Tigers concluded their series with the Yankees on Sunday and return to Detroit to play against the Kansas City Royals Monday night.

“He was apologetic at that time, although not in a very good state,” Dombrowski told reporters. “Later on, he reached out to me and the organization, so I know that he’s very apologetic and knows there is no excuse for what he did.”

Young previously was involved in an altercation with an umpire while playing in the Minor League in 2006 and was suspended for 50 games.