The UN Security Council on Monday tightened sanctions against North Korea over its failed rocket launch.
The 15-member council – including permanent member China – unanimously adopted a statement strongly condemning the controversial launch on Friday which it said had caused 'grave security concerns' in Asia.
The council ordered new “entities and items” to be added to the sanctions committee list created after North Korea staged nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009. It also ordered the sanctions committee to revise the individuals and North Korean firms and entities subject to the international measures.
It also warned new 'action' would be taken if the isolated and impoverished state stages a new nuclear test.
The council said the launch of the rocket, which disintegrated over the Yellow Sea shortly after it was sent up, was a 'serious violation' of UN resolutions 1718 and 1874.
The United States previously suspended a 'nutritional aid' package to North Korea over the impending launch.
Pyongyang’s belligerent stance vis-a-vis Monday's rocket launch comes as its new 28-year leader, Kim Jong-Un, seeks the support of party hardliners in his bid to be appointed to his father’s old post, chairman of the all-powerful National Defense Commission.
Since coming to power, Jong-Un has been making a series of appointments to senior defense positions in what analysts say is the new leader's bid to install close confidantes in key posts.