Six people – a father and five of his children – were killed in a fire that broke out on Monday evening in a private home in the city of Rehovot.
The six are Guy Shaer, 38, Eliav, 11, Evyatar, 8, Amitai, 7, Shira, 3, and one-year-old Itamar.
Initial investigations indicate that the fire broke out in the apartment, likely due to a short circuit. Guy Shaer was reportedly in the home of his children’s grandmother nearby, along with his wife, Avivit.
The investigation found that Avivit was the one who noticed the fire and called firefighters. It is believed her husband tried to go inside to save his children, but was trapped in the flame.
The five children reportedly suffocated due to smoke inhalation.
According to Magen David Adom, at least two other people were injured in the fire and were taken to hospital. Security forces and rescue vehicles in large numbers arrived on the scene.
Aaron Getz from the Ichud Hatzalah rescue organization told Arutz Sheva, “This is a tragedy. A father and his children aged between one year and 10 years burned to death.”
Another report said the family whose members died in the fire is a hareidi-religious family and that only the family’s mother was able to leave the house alive.
The funeral for the victims is scheduled to leave from their house at 3:00 p.m. Tuesday. They are to be laid to rest in the Rehovot cemetery.
Last Saturday night, a fire broke out at a nursing home in Bnei Brak. Nineteen people were injured.
Three elderly residents of the home were in serious condition due to injuries from smoke inhalation. Another seven people suffered moderate injuries. The rest were lightly hurt, mostly by smoke inhalation.