Palestinian Authority leaders told Jordan's foreign minister on Wednesday they will not resume peace talks with Israel, unless Israel freezes construction in Judea and Samaria.
The Associated Press reported that Foreign Minister Nasser Judeh explored the possibility of resuming talks in a meeting with PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas.
According to the report, however, Abbas believes there is no point in negotiating with Israel, arguing that there is not enough common ground to close a deal.
Abbas aide Saeb Erekat was quoted by AP as having said Judeh's visit “won’t be followed by negotiations unless Israel stops settlement activities.”
Last week it was reported that Judeh is set to deliver a letter in which the government of Israel and Palestinian Authority detail their conditions for peace talks to resume.
The letter repeats the PA’s previous demands, which are seen by Israeli officials as an excuse to forestall talks. These include a demand that Israel accept the indefensible pre-1967 lines as a basis for future borders, release terrorists who were imprisoned before 1994, and halt settlement construction in the 'disputed territories.'
The PA is also threatening to cancel all agreements signed after 2000 if Israel does not agree to their demands before peace talks.