Daily Israel Report

Mubarak Prosecutor: Egyptian Violence Not Due to Israel or Iran

Egypt's General Prosecutor said that no outside groups incited the violence in Tahrir Square last year.
By David Lev
First Publish: 2/20/2012, 10:54 PM

Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak
Former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak
Flash 90

Egypt's General Prosecutor said Monday that he had been unable to prove that any foreign power or organization had been involved in the violence against Egyptians during the uprising against President Hosni Mubarak last year. The prosecutor, Mustafa Suleiman, made the statement during closing arguments in the trial of Mubarak Monday.

Mubarak is on trial for corruption, and for ordering the army to open fire on protesters during the uprising against him last year in Cairo's Tahrir Square and other locations throughout the country. Suleiman has contended throughout the trial that Mubarak ordered soldiers to shoot to kill. As a result, he and five other defendants, high ranking members of the foreign government, deserve the most serious punishment the law could mete out, including the death penalty, if need be.

One of Mubarak's lines of defense has been that the violence was incited by “foreign agents” who wanted to make him look bad, but Suleiman said that no evidence had been uncovered to implicate any outside intervention, not on the part of Israel, Iran, Hizbullah or Hamas. The responsibility for the violence rested solely on the shoulders of Mubarak and his administration.

Suleiman also accused Mubarak's attorneys of trying to destroy incriminating evidence during the trial.

Mubarak's attorneys are expected to begin presenting their final arguments later this week.