Turkey’s Foreign Minister warned on Friday against attacking Iran and called for diplomatic dialogue with the Islamic Republic over its nuclear program.
Speaking at the Center for Strategic and International Studies in Washington, Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that an Israeli attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities would lead to “a disaster.”
Channel 2 News quoted Davutoglu as having urged Western countries to show flexibility toward Iran. He said he believed that “political determination and mutual trust can resolve the dispute about within a few days.”
According to the report, Davutogly attempted to play down the extent of tension between Iran and the West, saying that it is based on “essentially on differences of opinion of a technical nature that are not so significant.” He added that eliminating the Iranian nuclear threat by military means would “wreak disaster in our region. Before all this happens, there should be serious negotiations.”
Last week, a report on NBC revealed what an Israeli attack on Iran may look like. The report, which was based on conversations the American network held with current and former officials in Israel and the United States, suggested that an attack on Iran will combine air and ground faces but will not include naval forces.
U.S. President Barack Obama, however, said this week he does not think Israel has decided whether to attack Iran over its disputed nuclear program. He added that Israel is rightfully worried about its security if Iran achieves nuclear capability.
On Thursday, The New York Times reported that the Obama administration believes that it has convinced Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu to hold off on a potential attack on Iran, and to give sanctions a chance.
(Arutz Sheva’s North American Desk is keeping you updated until the start of Shabbat in New York. The time posted automatically on all Arutz Sheva articles, however, is Israeli time.)