Report: Probe Ordered Into Iran Leaks
Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Thursday allegedly ordered a probe into leaks regarding a plan to strike Iran's nuclear program.
The report comes amid a storm of speculation in Israel's media based on unverified claims Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak have been lobbying for ministerial support for the strike.
According to the Kuwaiti newspaper al-Jarida, the main suspects in the leaks are the former heads of the Mossad and the Shin Bet, respectively Israel's foreign and domestic intelligence agencies.
Netanyahu reportedly believes Meir Dagan and Yuval Diskin wanted to scuttle plans being drawn up to strike Iranian nuclear sites. The paper suggested the motive for the leaks was to stymie a decision that had entered the implementation stage.
"Those who oppose the plan within the security establishment decided to leak it to the media and thwart the plan," al-Jarida claimed.
Opposition leader Tzipi Livni, whose trademark policy is opposition for its own sake, was allegedly persuaded to attack Netanyahu as well. On Wednesday Livni blasted Netanyahu for "adventurism" and "gambling with Israel's national interest" for alleged plans to strike Iran.
Both Dagan and Diskin oppose military action against Iran unless all other options have been exhausted.
In January, Dagan – a hawk when he was running the Mossad – said an attack on Iran was "the stupidest idea I've ever heard."
Former National Security Council director Giora Eiland, however, took Dagan to task saying there was nothing “irresponsible” about discussing an attack.
“It's not a crazy idea,” Eiland told Israel Radio, "as long as the preparation for such an attack are done properly."
The Prime Minister’s Office declined to confirm whether an investigation had been order – or to comment on the alleged leaks