Egypt has convicted its former information minister of corruption and sentenced him to seven years in prison, The Associated Press reported.
Wednesday’s conviction is the latest in a growing list of high-ranking figures of Hosni Mubarak’s toppled regime who have been convicted of crimes committed during Mubarak’s 30-year rule, said the report.
The convicted minister, Anas el-Fiqqi, joins the country’s ex-interior minister, tourism minister and a ruling party insider and steel magnate. Former state television chief Osama el-Sheikh also was sentenced Wednesday to five years in prison in the same case as el-Fiqqi, AP said.
El-Fiqqi was acquitted earlier this year of other charges, including channeling state money to help Mubarak’s party election campaigns.
AP reported that after the Cairo court announced its verdict in el-Fiqqi’s case on Wednesday, the families and supporters of the defendants broke out in chants, scuffled with one another and directed slurs at the judges. “Invalid, Invalid,” the crowd chanted.
The trial took on an interesting turn earlier this month, when the prosecution’s first witness, Gen. Hussein Moussa, testified that police were not ordered to fire on protesters in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, a contradiction of the prosecutors’ central claim.
(Arutz Sheva’s North American Desk is keeping you updated until the start of Rosh Hashanah in New York. The time posted automatically on all Arutz Sheva articles, however, is Israeli time.)