Unfazed by the United States’ announcement on Thursday that it will veto any recognition of a Palestinian state at the UN Security Council, the Palestinian Authority announced it is going ahead with its bid.
The PA-based WAFA news agency quoted PA spokesperson Nabil Abu Rudeineh as having said late Thursday night that the Palestinian Authority will pursue its statehood bid because it does not “want to confront the U.S. administration and we are committed to the negotiations based on the 1967 borders and stopping settlement activities.”
Abu Rudeineh urged the international community to assume its responsibilities, saying that “The Palestinian people should not stay under occupation” and adding that the bid at the UN is “test” of the international community’s will and ability to assume responsibility toward justice and peace.
“The next phase is a critical crossroad and we demand everyone to assume their responsibilities to preserve the peace and the entire region’s stability,” Abu Rudeineh was quoted as saying. “The entire region is at a boiling point. The Palestinian people should not be left under occupation, not even for another hour.”
Earlier on Thursday, the U.S. officially announced that it will veto an application by the PA to gain UN membership.
“If any such resolution were put in front of the Security Council, then we would veto it,” said Wendy Sherman, undersecretary of state for policy, third-ranked at the U.S. State Department.
She added, “The General Assembly is still of concern, and so there is very urgent work going on to try to see if there's not another way forward.”
The U.S. has been feverishly working all diplomatic channels to avert Thursday's official move by the PA launching its campaign for recognition as a new country and membership in the international body.
On Wednesday, the U.S. formally asked Ramallah to drop its statehood bid.