He Ru Follow us: Make a7 your Homepage
      Free Daily Israel Report

      Blogs

      Radio


      Eight Injured in Terror Attack in Tel Aviv

      Eight people injured in terror attack in southern Tel Aviv, after Arab steals a taxi, runs over one person and stabs others.
      By Elad Benari
      First Publish: 8/29/2011, 2:56 AM

      Eight people were injured in a terror attack in southern Tel Aviv on Sunday night.

      The attack occurred after an Arab terrorist stole a taxi, ran over a man and lightly injured him, then stabbed several other people at the corner of Abarbanel and Salame Streets in the city.

      Magen David Adom reported that one person was stabbed in the head and stomach and was very seriously injured, two people were moderately injured and two others were lightly injured. They were all taken to Ichilov Hospital in Tel Aviv. Some have already been released from hospital.

      Voice of Israel radio reported that the attack took place near a popular Tel Aviv night club filled with young people, and that the terrorist ran into a police barricade that had been set up in the area, calling out "Allah Akhbar" as he first tried to run over, and then stab the officers at the barricade. First reports said that he refused to heed the officers' calls for him to stop.

      The terrorist was lightly injured as police apprehended him and was taken to the Wolfson Medical Center in Holon. He was later released  from the hospital for questioning in police custody.

      Police are investigating the incident, and a preliminary investigation has found that the terrorist is a 25-year-old who came from the Shechem (Nablus) area. It is not yet known if he was sent by a terror group or acted on his own.

      He initially made his way to Yafo, where he entered the taxi, stabbed the driver and stole the car. He then made his way towards southern Tel Aviv. It is believed that he intended to carry out the terror attack inside the night club but the police barricade prevented him from doing so.

      Police Commissioner Yohanan Danino arrived early Monday morning on the scene of the terror attack and said that the deployment of border police near the night club which was targeted prevented a greater tragedy.

      "The incident was further proof of the motivation of terrorists to attack," Danino said, adding: "We will continue our deployment of extra forces, as we have done for the last two weeks."