Despite the continued rocket and missile attacks from the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip into Israeli territory, Israel transferred $13.5 million into the Gaza Strip earlier this week.
A spokesman for COGAT, the Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories, said the money was delivered to UNRWA (the (United Nations Relief and Works Agency).
The spokesman said the money was transferred through the Erez crossing and was intended for the payment of salaries and for the funding of UNRWA’s ongoing operations.
Earlier this week COGAT announced that people, goods and construction materials continue to cross through to Gaza, despite rockets launched at Israeli civilians and at the crossings themselves.
To make matters worse, David Bedein of the Israel Resource News Agency, Center for Near East Policy Research in Jerusalem, recently wrote an op-ed for Arutz Sheva claiming UNRWA sponsored programs were based on implementing the “Law of Return”, even through violence.
A heated debate ensued between Bedein and UNRWA spokesman Christopher Gunness.
Meanwhile, a so-called ‘ceasefire’ announced by Hamas on Sunday has been broken countless times, with terrorist continuing to fire rockets and missiles at southern Israel’s communities. At least 15 rockets and missiles were fired on Wednesday. One of them hit a car in Ashkelon and exploded, hurting a two-year-old baby.