US Arms to Lebanon

Lebanese paper says US will keep on providing LAF with equipment, despite August 3 incident. Oren: Hizbullah rockets can reach Eilat.

Tags: Lebanon
Gil Ronen , | updated: 17:54

Village in southern Lebanon
Village in southern Lebanon
Israel news photo: Flash 90

The United States Administration has decided to continue supplying military equipment to the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF), despite the August 3 border attack in which IDF Lt. Col. (res.) Dov Harari was shot and killed. The report on the US decision appears in Lebanon's An-Nahar daily newspaper.   

Soon after the shooting incident last month, US Representatives Nita Lowey and Howard Berman announced they would hold up $100 million that was approved for Lebanon's army but had not been spent. Eric Cantor,  a senior House Republican, said future funding should also be called off, pending an inquiry.  

A source told An-Nahar that the US administration had so far spent around $700 million on arming and training the LAF, which the American superpower believes will be capable of preserving Lebanon’s sovereignty.

The source added that the LAF had stood up to its commitment to forbid the leakage of certain weapons to political parties or factions in Lebanon. The unstated reference was almost certainly to Hizbullah. 

Israel's ambassador to Washington, Michael Oren, warned Friday that Hizbullah is a very serious threat to Israel, having placed 15,000 rockets along Lebanon's southern border with Israel. These include missiles that could hit the southern port city Eilat, at the most southern point in Israel, he explained.



top