Fatah Linked to Terrorist Attack

Fatah terrorists took responsibility for murdering a Jewish policeman Monday, then denied it. Fayyad denounced the killing – 12 hours afterwards.

Tags: Terror
Tzvi Ben Gedalyahu , | updated: 07:24

Fatah's American-trained army
Fatah's American-trained army
Israel news photo

A terrorist cell affiliated with the Aqsa Martyrs Brigade, the terrorist wing of the Palestinian Authority’s ruling Fatah party, took responsibility for Monday morning’s murder of policeman Yehoshua “Shuck” Sofer. The IDF still is looking for the terrorists, who exploited roads that Defense Minister Ehud Barak has opened as “goodwill” measures for PA Chairman Mahmoud Abbas, head of the Fatah party.


The Imad Mughinyeh cell said it fired at a police car, killing Sofer and wounding two other policemen near the community of Beit Haggai, located directly across the highway from Hevron.


The Islamic Jihad terrorist group praised the attack, saying it "proved Palestinian fighters are keen on 'resistance',” the Arab code word for terror, and added. “All Palestinians have the right to resist and the right to reject negotiations."


PA Prime Minister Salam Fayyad initially ignored the terrorist attack in a statement denouncing Israel security force’s killing an Arab terrorist who aimed his car at three policemen on Friday in Jerusalem, causing moderate to serious injuries.


Later in the day, he said that the murder of Sofer near Beit Haggai “did not serve the Palestinian cause.”


Palestinian Authority Foreign Minister Riyad al-Maliki criticized Fayyad for saying that the Palestinian Authority would try to prevent further attacks, arguing that the murder is Israel’s fault because it took place in an area under Israel's responsibility where Israel does not allow PA police forces to operate. Al-Maliki added that Israel "is paying the price" for not surrendering Judea and Samaria to the PA.


Several hours after the terrorist attack, the IDF discovered five explosive devices were discovered in the possession of a PA Arab who turned himself in to the authorities at the Hawara checkpoint near Shechem, in Samaria.


The man said he was forced by terrorists to carry out an attack. Sappers neutralized the devices, and the would-be terrorist was taken into custody for questioning.