Daily Israel Report
More

Zion's Corner Blogs


Most Israeli Jews are Religious or Traditional

Eight percent say they are hareidi-religious, 12% religious, 13% traditionalist-religious and 25% traditionalist but 'not so religious.'
By Gil Ronen
First Publish: 5/16/2010, 5:24 PM / Last Update: 5/16/2010, 5:53 PM

Flash 90

Most Israeli Jews over the age of 20 are at least somewhat religious, the Central Bureau of Statistics' new social survey showed. Eight percent of the Jews defined themselves as hareidi-religious, 12% as religious, 13% as traditionalist-religious and 25% as traditionalist but “not so religious.”

This gives a total of 58%, or almost 6 in 10, who are at least partly religious. The remaining 42% describe themselves as secular.

Among Jews aged 25-54, 93% of the secular ones are in the workforce, as are 91% of the traditionalists, 94% of the religious men and 52% of the hareidi-religious ones. Among women, employment percentages are 88% for secular women, 80% for traditionalists, 83% of the religious women and 61% of the hareidi-religious ones.

Eighty-eight percent of the Jews are pleased with their lives. Among the hareidi-religious this number is at 96%. Ninety-one percent of the religious Jews, 86% of the traditionalists and 87% of the secular ones are pleased with their lives.

Sixty-eight percent of the Jewish population uses the internet. This includes 80% of the secular public, 64% of traditionalists, 66% of religious and 32% of the hareidi-religious.

The percentage of hareidi-religious is much higher in the younger age brackets. Of the Jews aged 20 to 29, 14% are hareidi-religious, compared to only 2% in the 65 and over category. Thirty eight percent of the 20 to 29 year-olds are secular, compared to 43% among the 65 and over.

In 71% of the secular married couples, both partners work outside the home. In 28% of the secular couples, only one partner works outside the home – and in 66% of these cases, that partner is the husband. In 19% of the hareidi-religious married couples, both partners work outside the home. In 54% of the hareidi-religious couples, only one partner works outside the home – and in 60% of these cases, that partner is the wife.