The Jerusalem municipality is preparing for the falling of snow at the end of the week. The city already has dozens of municipal vehicles capable of plowing snow and moving it. It is also ready and willing to hire additional equipment should the need arise.
Mayor of Jerusalem Nir Barkat has ordered municipal teams to ensure the drivability of the city's main roads as well as arterial roads from the various Jerusalem neighborhoods to the city's many hospitals. The snow teams will also sprinkle salt on freezing points throughout Jerusalem's road system.
The telephone number 106 for dialing Jerusalem's municipality will be kept open. The mayor instructed the Social Welfare Department and the Division for the Advancement of the Youth to prepare in advance for facilitating "Operation Warm Home" for the elderly, special needs residents, and the homeless.
The public is being encouraged to leave a hot water faucet dripping during the freezing temperatures, in order to prevent pipes from bursting.
Residents of Israel's capital city are being advised to:
• Check heating systems, especially those which require ventilation. :
• Ensure that roofs and openings such as windows and shutters are waterproof.
• Clean water and drainage pipes, and gutters on the roof.
• Prune trees and shrubs which have contact with cables.
• Check electricity and secure lighting capabilities in the case of a power outage or an emergency.
• Tie down or secure antennas, rooftop water boilers and anything else which is on the roof.
• Remove objects which are not secured and which could fly away, especially from high places. These items include plants, planters, furniture, and signs.
• Avoid standing, sitting, or playing in sheds, shacks or temporary structures, or under pergolas, as they may collapse under the weight of snow.
Depending on the weather forecast, the city will assess the situation regarding the cancellation of classes. The public is being asked to exercise caution in the freezing weather, to be vigilant and cautious, and to refrain from actions that are a danger to the safety of themselves and others, especially on the roads.