Special Report: The Pope in Israel
Israel National News reports on the third visit of a Pope to Israel – possibly the most controversial one of all – and its ramifications for the Jewish People and the State of Israel.
In 1964, Pope Paul VI visited Israel for 11 hours, never referred to Israel by its name, tried to avoid the word “Jews,” and defended Pope Pius XII's silence during the Holocaust. He refused to visit Jerusalem, and in protest, Chief Rabbi Yitzchak Nissim refused to meet him.
In 2000 came the much more sympathetic Pope John Paul II, shortly after he met with terrorist leader Yasser Arafat and called for an international status to be granted to Jerusalem. The visit also followed his apology for the actions of Roman Catholics over the last 2,000 years, without mentioning Church activities during the Holocaust. Chief Rabbi Yisrael Lau said, “He apologized for 1492, but not for 1942.”
Now, a third Pope prepares to visit: Benedictus XVI, who has reinstated a prayer implying that Jews should accept Jesus, rehabilitated a Holocaust-denying Bishop, and sent a delegation to the anti-Semitic Durban II conference. What will his visit mean to the Jewish People and the State of Israel?
Our Pope Israel coverage includes the following:Rivlin: Make 'United Jerusalem' a Reality - Pope Benedict XVI wound up his grueling week-long “Bridge for Peace” Middle East tour Friday morning, leaving behind disappointed Christians and Jews but satisfied Muslims and Palestinian Authority leaders.
PA Gift to Pope: a Piece of Cement Security Barrier - Abbas’s gift to the Pope is a piece of the cement barrier that Israel built to stop suicide bombings. Guards prevent cries of Allah is Great.* Pope Says Security Wall 'Tragic,' PA Gets Photo-Op - Israel’s attempts to prevent a situation in which the pope would be photographed near the security barrier failed Wednesday, as the pope spoke at the Aida refugee neighborhood and drove past a section of the security wall in his popemobile.
* Rabbi Amar's Response to Pope - Israel’s Chief Sephardi Rabbi, the Rishon Letzion Rabbi Shlomo Amar, wore an unusual adornment at his meeting with the Pope in Jerusalem on Tuesday.
* Pope’s ‘Bridge for Peace’ Cracking in Troubled Waters - Cracks in the ‘Bridge for Peace’ Tour: Vatican upset with Israeli coolness to Pope Benedict’s remarks at Yad VaShem. Muslim outburst glossed over.
* Pope Visits Temple Mount, Western Wall, Chief Rabbinate - Pope Benedict XVI began his first full day in Israel with visits to the Temple Mount, Western Wall, and the Chief Rabbinate. Chief Rabbi Metzger confronted the Pope with specific demands.
* Jewish Philanthropist Preferred Meron to Meeting with Pope - Jewish philanthropist Guma Aguiar turned down a meeting with Pope Benedict XVI Monday and headed north with hundreds of thousands of Jews who made their way to the Galilee mountain gravesite of Rabbi Shimon Bar Yochai.
* PA Sheikh Interrupts Pope's Speech, Slams Israel - A senior Palestinian Authority Muslim leader interrupted a meeting of religious leaders in Jerusalem on Monday night as Pope Benedict XVI was speaking. The leader, Sheikh Tayseer al-Tamimi, began harshly criticizing Israel, and ignored calls for calm.
* Yad Vashem Unhappy With Pope's Words- Pope Benedict XVI arrived at the official residence of President Shimon Peres in Jerusalem on Monday afternoon, and from there departed for a visit to the Yad Vashem Holocaust Museum. His speech at Yad Vashem did not receive high grades.
* Peres Greets Pope in Official Residence - For the first official stop on his itinerary, Pope Benedict XVI called on President Shimon Peres in the official Presidential Residence in Jerusalem on Monday afternoon.
* Pope Benedict XVI Arrives - Pope Benedict XVI arrived in Israel at 11 AM as scheduled, on a direct flight from neighboring Jordan. On hand to greet him were President Peres and most of the government; the Chief Rabbis were not there.
* PA Tries to Use Pope's Visit for Control in Eastern Jerusalem - The Palestinian Authority attempts to seize control of the "Bridge for Peace” visit by Pope Benedict XVI by claiming authority over media coverage of his tour in Jerusalem.
* Chief Rabbis Won't Greet Pope at Airport - Chief Rabbis Shlomo Amar and Yona Metzger have been invited to four meetings with visiting Pope Benedict XVI. They will attend one, will not attend another, and are considering the others.
* Pope Calls for Muslim-Christian Unity in Jordan - Pope Benedict XVI called for Muslim-Christian unity in an address at the Al Hussein Mosque in Amman on Saturday, the second day of his visit to the Middle East.
POPE ISRAEL VIDEO REPORTS
* Pope Arrives in Israel - Pope Benedictus XVI arrived Monday in Israel. INN TV reports.
* Protests to Coincide with Pope's Visit - A series of protests are being organized to coincide with the Pope's visit to Israel and the attempts to take Jewish land by the Vatican.
POPE ISRAEL OPINION
* All for the Pope - Have we no red lines?
* The Sun Orbits the PLO State - Religious dogma is not overturned by logic.
POPE ISRAEL BLOG POSTS
* We'll Teach the Pope a Thing or Two - Yes, it's true that the Catholic and Christian world is responsible for the murder of millions of Jews...
* Identity Theft - A Jewish State, what is that supposed to mean? You call yourselves as you like, but I don't accept it, and I say so publicly."
Join the discussion on the Pope Israel visit in the Israeli politics forum