Kassam Attack, No Injuries

A Kassam rocket attack slammed into the western Negev Thursday morning, once again breaking the ceasefire between Gaza terrorists and Israel.

Hana Levi Julian,

Kassam launched from Gaza
Kassam launched from Gaza
Israel News Photo: (file)

The wail of the Color Red incoming rocket attack alert system shattered the early morning calm in the western Negev Thursday morning as Gaza terrorists again broke the ceasefire with Israel.

A rocket fired from northern Gaza slammed into the field of a kibbutz located near the city of Sderot at 7:47 a.m., while children were walking to school and their parents were on their way to work. People raced for cover in an echo of "the old days."

No one was injured and no damage was reported.

The agreement has been broken dozens of times, with more than 20 Kassam rockets and 25 mortar shellings since it was announced on June 19 since it began on June 19. Israel responds as it did Thursday morning, by closing the crossing with Gaza and shutting down deliveries of goods to the region.

Defense Minister Ehud Barak ordered the crossings closed for a day last week in response to a similar attack that sent a rocket hurtling into the Ashkelon Beach Regional Council district.

However, even when the crossings are ordered "closed" Israel allows in many Palestinian Authority Arab residents of Gaza who receive medical aid in Israel.

Sha'ar HaNegev Regional Council head Alon Schuster called on the government to fulfill its promise to fortify homes in Gaza Belt communities against the rockets.

Hamas has proposed a renewal of the temporary truce, which is slated to end in November, but only if Israel is willing to extend the terms to include Judea and Samaria, and to reopen the Rafiah Crossing as well.

Such an agreement would mean pulling out all IDF military forces from every part of Judea and Samaria, and opening the crossing between Gaza and Egypt, which Israel has said will remain closed until Hamas returns kidnapped IDF St. Sgt. Gilad Shalit. The terrorist group abducted the soldier near the Kerem Shalom Crossing on June 25, 2006.