Tuesday June 25th is the fast of the 17th of the Hebrew month of Tammuz, known as Shivah Asar B’Tammuz, which starts the three-week mourning period for the destruction of Jerusalem and the two Holy Temples. Five tragic events happened on this day. they are:
* Moses broke the tablets of the 10 commandments when he saw the Jewish people worshipping the Golden Calf.
* During the Babylonian siege of Jerusalem, the Jewish people were forced to cease offering the daily sacrifices.
* Apostomos burned Torah scrolls.
* The Holy Temple as defiled with idols.
* The walls of Jerusalem were breached by the Romans, in the year 69 CE. This eventually led to the destruction of the Holy Temple on Tisha B'Av three weeks later.
The fast takes place from the pre-dawn hours to dusk, unlike other full 25-hour fasts that take place from sundown the previous evening.
According to the OU Israel Center, the fast officially ends at 8:20 pm in Israel.