He Ru Follow us: Make a7 your Homepage
      Free Daily Israel Report
      Archive: 6/14/2013
      10:35
      Reported

      News Brief

        6/14/2013, Tammuz 6, 5773

      Rabbis Protest 'Death Blow to Torah World'


      Arutz Sheva has obtained a copy of a letter from dozens of senior religious Zionist rabbis to members of Habayit Hayehudi (Jewish Home-New National Religious Party), expressing dissatisfaction with the party's behavior regarding budget cuts imposed by the Treasury on hesder yeshivas - which combine Jewish studies with military service, and yeshiva high schools. Since the beginning of the fiscal year, the institutions have suffered two cuts of 20 percent, and more than 40 percent  of the remaining 60 percent - 600 million shekels, are planned to be cut by the end of the 2014 budget period.

      The rabbis called on the party's leaders to add and act on behalf of reinforcing the yeshivas. A source in the Union of Zionist Yeshivas explained, Friday, that by virtue of the 12 seats the party won in the last Knesset election, "We thought there would be someone who would take care of us but this week it became clear that the budget for the Zionist yeshivas will be cut by 60 percent. The situation is serious and many yeshivas face collapse. It's really a death blow."