News Brief 3/14/2013, Nisan 3, 5773
Coalition Partners Agree on Hareidi Draft Proposal
Yesh Atid and Likud Beyteinu have accepted all of Naftali Bennett’s conditions for draft of Yeshiva students. According to the agreement:
- Draft will be required at age 21 instead of 18.
- No religious women will be drafted.
- Draft refusal will only cause financial, and not legal sanctions or imprisonment.
- The State of Israel will acknowledge the full-time study of Torah as a national priority.
- 1800 highly talented Yeshiva scholars will be awarded higher stipends starting 2017.
- Married Yeshiva students 22 and over will be excused from military service.
- Additionallly, the IDF will establish many more Hareidi units offering the highest religious standards, with full segregation, strictly Kosher food and regular time allocated to Torah study.
The Jewish Home explains, “As promised, we have succeeded at looking after the interests of Torah students, while promoting shared responsibility.”