A couple has sued for millions of shekels after their daughter, now seven, choked as a newborn baby, leading to lifelong disabilities. They say the child choked while nursing immediately after birth.
The midwife who had assisted in delivery reportedly left the child alone with the young mother, who had just finished 13 hours of labor and was under the influence of pain medication. The lawyer representing the couple and their daughter argues that the midwife’s actions were counter to accepted practice, under which first-time mothers should be provided with safety instructions before they first nurse their children, and should be supervised in the hours after delivery.
The child was left suffering from serious brain damage and autism.