The Health Ministry reported, Monday, that a five-year-old boy from Bnei Brak, east of Tel Aviv, was admitted to Schneider Children's Hospital in Petach Tikva and was being treated for meningococal disease, a virus which can prove fatal if not treated quickly. The boy was transferred to the children's ward after antibiotics improved his condition. Bacterial samples were taken from him for laboratory analysis and preventative treatment was administered to his family and people in the yeshiva where he learns. The ministry continues to investigate the boy's contacts.
Fast action by parents and doctors at Kaplan Hospital in Rechovot was recently credited with saving a three-year-old who had a meningococal rash. Doctors say parents whose children have a rash and high fever should not hesitate to bring them to an emergency room.