Members of the Yesh Atid party will submit a petition to the Supreme Court, Monday morning, against Sunday's decision by the cabinet to allow 1,300 hareidi-religious youth to do national civilian service instead of military service. Addressing a Yesh Atid Knesset campaign gathering in the northern Israeli town of Harish, Party Chairman Yair Lapid called the decision "a national scandal", saying it circumvented a High Court decision from earlier this year that was intended to eliminate exemptions for draft-age hareidim.
Lapid said, "We'll see to it that this is the last time that the blackmail machine bends the rule of law in Israel." He called on Defense Minister Ehud Barak not to lend a hand to the move and to issue draft notices to all hareidi youth to insure that all 18-year-olds share the military burden. He said he chose to speak in Harish because it is designed to be a hareidi city, which he also wants to change.