The Histadrut on Sunday again threatened a nationwide strike. The union filed a report with the National Labor Court Sunday, claiming that in a month and a half of discussions with the government on the issue of contract workers, no significant progress had been made. Last month, the court forbade the Histadrut from calling an extended strike over the issue, and ordered the government and the union to discuss a deal on offering regular, full-time employment to thousands of contract workers in government offices.
Histadrut chairman Ofer Eini said Sunday that “we already said weeks ago that we could make progress only under the threat of a strike. Now after further talks ordered by the court several weeks ago, our request to strike has received even greater legitimacy. Unless they are threatened by a strike, the Treasury and employers will try to stretch these negotiations out for a very long time,” Eini added.