Members of the Ichud Leumi (National Union) Youth have joined the nationwide protest against the housing shortage. This week they plan to distribute fliers detailing their proposed solutions to the crisis, which are very different from those released by the Student Union or far-left organizations also participating in the protests.
Among the steps the youth propose:
- Make establishing and growing towns in the Negev and Galilee a top national priority. If bureaucracy were reduced, tens of thousands of new housing units could be built in those areas in the next two years.
- Have Defense Minister Ehud Barak sign off on the construction of 10,000 housing units in Samaria, many of them adjacent to central Israel.
- End the obstacles to building in Jerusalem.
- End the massive infiltration of Israel from Sinai, which leads to approximately 3,000 apartments per year being rented by illegal entrants, while many more are taken by illegal foreign workers.
- Build at least 10,000 prefab homes as an emergency step, as then-Prime Minister Sharon did in response to massive aliyah (immigration) from Russia.