Israeli leaders offer support for Spain

Israeli leaders condemn terrorist attack in Barcelona in which 13 people were murdered.

Contact Editor
Elad Benari,

Binyamin Netanyahu
Binyamin Netanyahu
Reuters

Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Thursday evening condemned the terrorist attack in Barcelona in which 13 people were murdered.

"Israel strongly condemns the terrorist attack in Barcelona. On behalf of the citizens of Israel, I send condolences to the families of those who were killed and wishes for a quick recovery to the injured. This evening we again saw that terror strikes everywhere; the civilized world must fight it together in order to defeat it," he said.

Jewish Home chairman and Education Minister Naftali Bennett spoke with David Hashuel, head of the Jewish community in Spain, who updated him on the situation of the community following the attack.

"I offered him any help that is needed, and we agreed to keep in touch," Bennett said.

"At such moments,” he continued, “it is important to understand that Islamic terrorism is trying to undermine the values of freedom and democracy wherever they are, in Barcelona, London, Paris and Jerusalem. Western countries must stand strong against terrorism and defeat it anywhere."

Former Minister Gideon Sa'ar expressed his deep sorrow over the attack, saying, "The heart is with the families of the murdered, with the victims and with the residents of Barcelona, in light of the horrific massacre. The free world must unite for a joint and uncompromising war against terrorism."

Israel's ambassador to the United Nations, Danny Danon, spoke to Spain's ambassador to the United Nations, Juan Manuel González de Linares, after the terror attack in Barcelona.

"We send our condolences to the Spanish government and to the victims' families following the shocking terror attack in Barcelona. Terrorism is the same terrorism and Israel today is standing alongside the Spanish people. We must fight together against terrorism that seeks to harm the free world," said Danon.

Netanyahu earlier on Thursday visited the Foreign Ministry’s situation room and received updates on the Foreign Ministry's activities and attempts to contact Israelis who were in Barcelona.

The Islamic State (ISIS) jihadist organization has claimed responsibility for the attack in Barcelona through the Amaq news agency, with which it is affiliated.