A senior IDF officer said Monday that Israel is in possession of all of the attack tunnels that Hamas dug from Gaza to Israel.
A few more days are needed in order to dispose of the remaining tunnels, he said.
The IDF blew up two more tunnels in the course of the last 24 hours. “The longer we stay on the ground [inside Gaza], the more we learn about the extent of the tunnels and the route they were built in.”
IDF forces attacked 40 terror targets in Gaza in the last day, and the tunnels remained their main focus. “This is our central goal and that is why we are concentrating more and more forces in Gaza to complete the assignement.”
“The IDF knew all about the tunnel threat and was ready for it,” he said. “I imagine the political establishment knew about it as well. We on the Committee were not shocked by the news of the tunnels.”
Elkin also could not confirm rumors of a “mega terror attack” Hamas terrorists had been planning, possibly for Rosh Hashana, in which hundreds of terrorists would slip into Israel and begin slaughtering people.
MK Zev Elkin, Chairman of the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee, said that the IDF was not surprised at the extent and number of tunnels Hamas had built underneath Gaza. “A large number of stories have cropped up surrounding the tunnels,” he said. “It's natural for such stories to crop up, under the circumstances. The main this is the results. I am happy that we are now again operating at full capacity after talk of a cease-fire. We must bring Hamas to the breaking point, until it demands a cease-fire without conditions.”