News Briefs

  אדר 24, 5774 , 24/02/14

Dental Needle Removed from Woman's Stomach - No Surgery

A 4 cm. needle that was accidentally swallowed by a woman during a dental procedure was sucessfully extracted by a team of doctors from the Gastroenterology Institute of the Hillel Yaffe Medical Center, located near Hadera.

The story began this afternoon (Monday) when a woman came into the Medical Center accompanied by her dentist, claiming that a dental needle had been inadvertently swallowed during a procedure he had been performing at a private dental clinic. An ER doctor had x-rays taken and they were able to view where the needle had gotten stuck. The woman was then admitted to a treatment room at the Gastoenterology Institute where the needle was removed in a gastroscopy procedure with a tube, eliminating the need to risk a surgery and the possible complications that can accompany it.

Dr. Oren Gal, the doctor who successfully performed the procedure, expressed the satisfaction of his entire team in having been able to avoid further damaging the woman's stomach in order to help her. Following the procedure the woman kept in the hospital for observation, and is expected to be released tomorrow.

Other archived news briefs:Feb 24 2014, 03:56 PM, 2/24/2014