Terror tunnel
Terror tunnelFlash90

Several of the Thai nationals who were kidnapped by Hamas terrorists on October 7 and freed on November 25 described the treatment they and their fellow hostages received during their seven weeks in Hamas custody and how Israeli hostages were singled out for especially brutal treatment.

Anucha Angkaew, a 28-year-old man who worked as a farm laborer in southern Israel, described how he and five other Thai nationals were abducted by 10 Hamas terrorists at about 7:30 am that Saturday morning in separate interviews with Reuters and Deutsche Welle.

"We shouted 'Thailand, Thailand'," to let the terrorists know that they were not Israelis or Jews, but the attackers were indiscriminate in who they killed or abducted that day.

The six Thai hostages were brought to a truck that would take them to Gaza. However, when the truck was too full to carry any more hostages, the terrorists shot two of the Thai nationals in the head, murdering them.

"I thought I would die," Angkaew told Reuters.

At first, the surviving four hostages were brought to a house together with an 18-year-old Israel man, where their hands were tied behind their backs and they were brutally beaten. Afterwards, they were taken to a tunnel, where they would spend the next four days in two small underground rooms.

The hostages were beaten again over the course of two days. Afterwards, the terrorists continued beating the Israeli hostages and whipping them with electric wires.

The hostages were given one piece of pita and two bottles of water to split between the six of them each day. Angkaew lost about 35 pounds over the course of the 50 days he was kept in those underground prisons, even when, after a few days they were moved to a more spacious room and given slightly more food.

After many weeks, a guard announced: "Thailand, go home." The Thai hostages were walked through Hamas' underground tunnel network to a place where female Israeli hostages who were also being released were being gathered. It was another 11 hours before they were finally released and turned over to the Red Cross.

Angkaew told Reuters: "I didn't think I would get released. It was like I was reborn."

He told Deutsche Welle: "I prayed a lot and thought about my family. That gave me strength in those dark days."

Another released hostage, Manee Jirachat, told Deutsche Welle that "once the truck was full, they shot two of my companions in the head. Just because there was no room left for more hostages. I'll never forget the sight."

Jirachat said that his neck still hurts from when one of his kidnappers struck him with a rifle stock while they were being driven into Gaza.

"The Israeli hostages had it worse," he said, noting how the Thai nationals were treated somewhat better after several days once their captors accepted that they were not Israeli or Jewish.