prison (illustration)
prison (illustration)ISTOCK

The IDF released a redacted report Monday evening revealing new details in the death of an intelligence officer in prison.

The officer's investigation was opened following information regarding a serious breach of state security. The investigation conducted on the subject raised suspicions that the officer, who served in the intelligence unit, consciously carried out a number of actions that severely damaged the security of the state.

The officer cooperated in his interrogation and confessed to many of the acts attributed to him. The investigation revealed that the officer acted independently, for personal motives, and not for ideological, nationalist or economic motives. The officer was not activated by a foreign actor and was not in contact with hostile elements.

At the same time, the investigation also revealed that the officer was aware of the potential damage to national security as a result of his actions, and even tried to hide them.

The investigation also examined the control and supervision procedures in the officer's unit, and at the same time a command-professional investigation was conducted in the unit, in order to learn and draw lessons to prevent a reoccurrence.

At the end of the investigation and after examining its findings, an indictment was filed against the officer alleging serious security offenses. In the decision to file the indictment, weight was given to the allegedly significant damage caused by the offenses.

The officer was represented by senior defense attorneys from the military defense, according to his choice and after consulting with his family. The investigation materials were made fully available to defense attorneys upon the filing of the indictment. Recently, materials related to his recruitment to the IDF were also transferred.

For reasons of national security, the hearings were held behind closed doors, in the presence and absence of the officer. The officer's family was present at some of the hearings.

The officer's detention was extended by the tribunal during his interrogation. Subsequently, after the filing of the indictment, the tribunal extended the officer's detention until the end of the legal proceedings, with his consent and consent of his power of attorney, given for practical reasons, and without waiving the officer's denial of the charges.

Before the stage of hearing the evidence began, and on the recommendation of the tribunal, a mediation procedure began.

After the restraining order regarding the investigation into the circumstances of the officer's death was revoked, the IDF announced that on the night of May 16-17 while he was in the detention facility, the officer was transferred in serious condition to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

He was imprisoned in his name and without an alias, kept in touch with the prison staff and was in the vicinity of other inmates. The officer stayed in the cell with additional inmates and not in solitary confinement. During his stay in prison the officer was granted rights as required.

According to the IDF statement, the officer regularly received medical treatment and accompaniment from mental health officials. The officer's family members visited him at the detention base and were in regular contact with him. In addition, the officer kept in touch with two of his friends. Officials from the intelligence department visited him several times.

During the period of his detention, and several months before his death, the officer was released from service at his request. Under the Military Cemeteries Act, in these circumstances he could not be brought for burial in a military cemetery. As a general rule, a detainee whose case is pending in the military tribunal continues to remain in the military prison even if he was released from service during his detention.

The officer's death is currently being investigated by a special investigation by the Internal Investigations Unit of the Personnel Division (the military equivalent of DIP). The IDF emphasizes that any death of a soldier or death in a military facility requires a thorough examination and investigation, and this is also being done in this case.