Rabbi Shai Ohayon
Rabbi Shai OhayonCourtesy of the famil

The Israeli Supreme Court ruled Sunday against an appeal aimed at cancelling demolition orders issued by the IDF against a terrorist’s home.

Last month, the Head of the IDF’s Central Command, Tamir Yadai, signed a demolition order for the home of terrorist Khalil Doikat, who murdered Rabbi Shay Ohayon in a stabbing attack in Petah Tikva.

Doikat’s family petitioned the Supreme Court to intervene and nullify the demolition order.

But the Court ruled two to one Sunday against the Doikat family’s petition, with justices Noam Sohlberg and Yael Vilner forming the majority, against Menachem Mazuz, who backed the family’s petition.

Khalil Doikat, a 46-year-old resident of the Palestinian Authority-controlled town of Rujeib, near Shechem (Nablus) in Samaria, was charged last month with murder under aggravating circumstances Monday at the Central District Court in Lod, for the death of 39-year-old Rabbi Shay Ohayon in late August.

According to the indictment, Doikat had been working at a construction site in Petah Tikva, after legally entering Israel with a work permit.

Prior to the attack, Doikat had, the indictment said, resolved to murder Israeli civilians or security personnel “for Palestine, the Palestinian people, the al-Aqsa Mosque, and for Allah."

On August 26th, the day of the attack, Doikat took a knife from the kitchen of a trailer at the construction site, hid it in his pocket, and left the area.

After searching for a suitable victim and an opportunity to carry out the planned attack for about an hour, Doikat spotted Rabbi Ohayon at around 1:15 p.m., as he walked past him on the street. The terrorist drew the knife and stabbed Ohayon three times.

A passerby who witnessed the murder as it was taking place, hurled an object at the terrorist, hoping to help the victim. Doikat then left Rabbi Ohayon, who had already been mortally wounded. The terrorist proceeded to place the blood-covered knife to his pants pocket and attempted to leave the crime scene.

Doikat planned to attack additional Israelis, but was quickly apprehended by security forces who were dispatched to the scene.